Director of Development
- Experience Required
- Minimum 5 years development experience
- Polished communication skills
- Evidence of being a sefl-starter
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and a fundraising platform such as Raiser's Edge, DonorPerfect, or Salesforce
- Fluency in both English and Italian
- Physical capacity for regular international flights and international travel
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; Master’s degree preferred
The overall mission of the Director of Development is to continually increase the support the school receives from its broader community in support of its mission. The Director of Development is responsible for leading the School’s fund raising program as adopted by the Board of Trustees. The Director is also responsible for developing and maintaining active and productive relationships with board members, donors -- past and potential -- and all members of the St Stephen’s community. The position reports to the Head of School.
Duties and responsibilities
- Fund Raising – Establishes short- and long-range goals and enlists support from members of institution staff and Board. Strategizes and orchestrates methods of approach to institutional and individual donors. Works with Head of School and Board to develop funding-related projects, including grants and corporate solicitation. Organizes individual donor campaigns (e.g., major donors, annual giving direct mail and board of trustees). Organizes solicitation drives for pledges of ongoing support from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Major Gift/Donor Support – Produces major donor, board and special category solicitations/support materials with the intent to retain or upgrade gifts when possible. Cultivates donors by producing specialized correspondences, preparing letters of acknowledgment, scheduling and attending in-person visits.
- Planned Giving Program – Manage and promote bequests and similar gifts.
- Event Fundraising & Volunteer Management – Coordinate with administrators to assist in the execution of events like the biannual Gala.
- Parent and Alumni relations – Develops relationships with the parent body and alumni body via school events, visits in homes or places of work, and through electronic communication.
- Faculty & Staff relations – Invest time with teachers and staff on campus to develop partnerships and to internally market the goals of the Development office. Works closely with the staff on alumni relations projects.
- Development Communications – Create various communications, such as the annual report, development-related content for our website, and participation in relevant social media and app platforms.
- Financial Reporting and Management – Maintain accurate accounting of all development income and its sources. Interface school business office to fulfill information requests and maintain reporting accuracy. Oversee cash management under supervision of the school business office.
- Database and Records Management – Maintain donor database and paper records of contributors and grants. Maintain security and quality controls. Generate queries, reports, exports and any other data collection as needed. Manage any related vendors.
- Dedicate on-going attention to personal professional development through trade organization networks.
Office and Travel Expectations
- The Director will have an office on the Rome campus of the School, and is expected to maintain full-time business hours during the school year, and to follow the School’s Staff calendar (which includes 6 weeks vacation per year).
- Within those working times, the Director is expected to travel to the US four times per year for cultivation and solicitation, to attend School events, and to meet with selected trustees.
- Periodic development-related travel in the region and within the Mediterranean basin is expected, and will be arranged in coordination with the Head.
- Online: include your current CV, and statement of personal development philosophy (PDF format only).
- Email: Send email submissions to: email@example.com, include your current CV, and statement of personal development philosophy (PDF format only).
- Post: send a cover letter, current CV, and statement of personal development philosophy by July 15, 2017, to the following address:
Eric Mayer, Head of School
St. Stephen’s School
Via Aventina, 3
Roma, Italia 00153