Part-time Laboratory Assistant
- Experience Required
- Laboratory equipment common to high school science laboratories;
- Principles of physical and life sciences;
- Elementary laboratory methods and procedures;
- Appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
- Prepare laboratory equipment for Laboratory classes;
- Compound and prepare standard chemical solutions;
- Use triple beam balance and electronic balance;
- Maintain accurate records;
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
Under general supervision, the laboratory assistant organizes and maintains a science laboratory store room; prepares compounds and mixes chemical solutions and reagents; assists in setting up laboratory classes, prepares equipment for experiments and cleans and put back equipment after the class for the four sciences biology, chemistry, environmental systems & societies and physics.
Examples of Duties
- Prepares laboratory equipment and/or specimens for laboratory classes
- Disassembles, cleans and replaces in stock the apparatus used in laboratory classes
- Prepares chemical solutions; weigh chemicals
- Prepares slide mounts
- Cleans laboratory glassware and equipment, maintains shelves, tables and sinks in proper working condition; maintains stockroom and laboratory in clean and orderly condition
- Cares for laboratory plants as assigned; prepares and preserves specimens as assigned
- Assists in inventory and ordering supplies
- Buys local consumable supplies
- Takes inventory
- Assists in organizing the science orders